Sunday 27 July 2014

REVIEW - Palmers Tummy Butter

I think some women can be really lucky through pregnancy and not get a lot of stretch marks. I was not one of these lucky women.

Stretch marks occur when the skin is stretched over a short period of time. The stretching causes the middle layer of skin to break in places, allowing the deeper skin layers to show through. Before I became pregnant I was lucky and never had a problem with stretch marks but I developed a big bump in quite a short space of time so my skin stretched a lot, so I developed quite a lot of stretch marks over my tummy. I developed the usual ones over my boobs but probably the ones I hate the most (because they are the hardest to hide) are the ones that appeared on my upper arms. Visibly the worst ones are the ones on my tummy. They cover nearly all of the upper half of my tummy. I know I didn't take good enough care of my skin during my pregnancy which is why they have developed so bad so now I am left with the battle on my hands to try and get rid of them. 
I have tried Palmers Cocoa Butter Formula Lotion before and as it's specifically for the tummy area I thought this one would be worth a go.
The first thing I noticed when I opened it was the consistency, I'm used to butter's being more runny, but this is much more solid, even more harder than Vaseline which makes getting it out pretty difficult. You've got to work at it quite hard to soften it to get much out. When it's specifically designed for the tummy I need a fair amount to cover my large expanse of tummy I find it quite annoying that it's so difficult to get a decent amount out. 
However once I got enough on I found it's quite a decent product. The cocoa smell, as with a lot of the Palmers products, is delicious. It's nice and strong but not over powering so leaves you smelling great once it's on. 
It works relatively well. My stretch marks haven't magically vanished unfortunately but they are definitely lighter and less visible than they were 4 weeks ago. I don't use the product religiously. Being a new mum there is always something that comes before taking care of my skin. Usually sleep or a crying baby. It's worked best on the ones on my arms probably because they are the lightest and the less severe ones. I think if I continue to use it regularly on my tummy I will see a great improvement.
Do you have any stretch mark secrets? I'd love to hear from you if you've had any other products that have worked really well for you.
Kirsty x



No comments:

Post a Comment